My Halloween Party

As I promised, here are some pictures from my Halloween party, plus descriptions of how I made everything. Please don’t forget to take the poll!

Pumpkin muffins I made with my best friend (and roommate). I think I got the muffin mold (and the recipe that came with it) from Avon. Each muffin makes half a pumpkin, just cut off the round top and glue the two muffin pieces together with frosting, then use the frosting to draw vines and leaves on the pumpkins. I deleted the pumpkin seeds and raisins from the recipe because it really doesn’t need anything extra. Don’t throw away the extra bits of the muffins. Chances are, someone will still want more after the party is over and all the good looking ones have been eaten.

The spiderweb stand on which the muffins are resting was purchased from Joann Fabrics. I had been coveting it all summer but it was kind of expensive. Finally it was on sale at 60% off so I got it! The spiderweb bowl behind it was also from Joann’s and not nearly as expensive.

A bowl of marshmallow eyeballs. In order to dress up the Halloween hot chocolate, I made these  “eyes” out of large marshmallows and bits of licorice. The licorice I bought came in a mix of black and red so I decided to make some vampire eyes too!

Here is a picture of me, my handsome prince (I made both of our costumes) and my beautiful fiends…
including my bestie, who you may recognize from the Sundrop commercials!

Just for fun, I am thinking of doing a Princess Jasmine makeup tutorial. I wore a lot of makeup for this costume (on Halloween it’s okay) but actually toned it down and used the same colors for a more wearable, everyday Jasmine look that I wore for the rest of the week to ease my Halloween withdrawal. Since it is no longer Halloween, would you rather see a tutorial for the more wearable look or do you just want to know how I did the Halloween makeup?

If you want to know how I made the Aladdin and Jasmine costumes, read on!

My Princess Jasmine costume came from a Simplicity pattern for a genie costume that I modified. They make Cinderella and Snow White costumes but not Jasmine!? What the heck. Anyway, the pattern number is 3626 if you want to know. I actually simplified it a lot. There were a lot of shear overlays in the original pattern that I skipped. You could include them and it wouldn’t hurt the look of the costume at all but I am lazy and wanted to stick as close as possible to the original cartoon look or the outfit. Other than the overlays, the pants are made exactly according to the pattern, in turquoise satin.

For the top, I skipped the extra piece that covers the midriff, because Jasmine doesn’t have that. I had to add a little bit of fabric at the bottom in order to make it not scandalous, though. I pretty much just cut a straight piece of fabric, sewed it on, and gathered it. The headband is a wide piece of ribbon with a jewel-looking button from JoAnn’s on it. The gold earrings and necklace are from Fred Meyer (judging by what I paid for them, I don’t think they are actually gold.) I think I got the shoes at Payless but I’ve had them since middle school, so I don’t think you’ll find them there now.

I couldn’t find an Aladdin pattern to save my life. Luckily, it was easy to figure out. I cut a purple T-shirt into a vest. The hardest part of that was finding a men’s purple T-shirt, after that you just trim it until it looks like a vest.  The pants were trickier to find but I eventually found an awesome website that shows you how to make your own belly dancing costumes! Now I need to get better at belly dancing so I can have an excuse to make myself some of those costumes. The web address is http://www.shira.net/costuming/cg/pants-harem.htm.  It tells you how to take your measurements and use them to make a pattern. I made the pants out of white muslin with some stretchy brown fabric for the belt. I just kind of eyeballed the width and sewed on snaps to close it in the back. I sewed a piece of yellow fabric from my mom’s scrap bag onto the right knee of the pants for a patch. The last detail was the hat, which I made out of red felt. My genie pattern came with a hat pattern too, so I used that pattern for the Aladdin hat.

Advertisements

4 Comments »

  1. Kay Said:

    I’m sad that I didn’t get to come to your party on Halloween. It looks like you all had a lot of fun. Your costumes looked great! Your prince looked quite charming (pun intended).
    The pumpkin muffins turned out better than last year! Did Aladdin try to eat all the frosting again?

    • Assunta Said:

      Actually he was pretty good and didn’t eat too much frosting 🙂 Hey, you didn’t vote!

  2. Hi Assunta! Love your Halloween costumes–super cute! I heard I might get to see you at the next craft circle–yay!

    Kay says you’re going to enter my cute kawaii giveaway. Here’s the link as a reminder: http://www.plushpussycat.com/2011/10/cute-kawaii-giveaway.html

    Hope to see you soon!

    • Assunta Said:

      Yay, that will be cool!

      Thanks for the reminder; I love Hello Kitty!


{ RSS feed for comments on this post} · { TrackBack URI }

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: